Monday, January 13, 2014

Bullied, teased and thankful for it all!

Have you seen the recent news headlines stating:
“A non-profit group out of New York is providing free plastic surgeries to children and youth who claim they have been bullied because of their physical deformities.”
I guess I can appreciate the group for what they are doing to impact one life at a time. That’s a goal all of us can take from this. There’s something deeper here that really alarms me. God made each of us in His own image, that’s Biblical.
Another story that has been making headlines is the one about the lady dubbed “World’s ugliest woman” and the way she’s used this title to speak to groups about her faith and being a positive influence.
It is frightening to me that our world has come so far as to take it upon themselves to determine what is pretty and what is ugly. I am blessed to have been raised with the motto that pretty is as pretty does and I’ve learned that the opposite is true as well. This appreciation for inward beauty is what our world is lacking. No matter how symmetrical a human is, their worth shouldn’t go up and just because one person has a better skin tone than another doesn’t mean that they are making a greater impact for eternity.
I am sure that this non-profit is trying to do the right thing but when we discontinue to value people’s hearts, their morals and their character, we only further advance the need for materialistic items to satisfy a need that is spiritual.
The other side to this is America’s over obsession with bullying. By definition a bully is: someone who uses superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.
I don’t think there is one person anywhere who’s exempt from bullying to some extent. In no way am I claiming that some cases aren’t extremely serious and need parental attention however, most bullying actually helps us. By being teased as a child I learned to stand up for myself and to make sure what I was fighting for was actually right. Sure there were comments made about my looks, everyone receives that. Those made me take time to examine myself to make sure that my self-worth wasn’t only hung on looks. I knew that I was someone who had much more to offer than a pretty face. There were times when I had to re-examine that to continue to make it true.
The thing about bullying is that it doesn’t just exist between the ages of 5 and 18. Wake up America! Spending one day in the business world should make you realize that bullying is just a part of life. “Someone who uses superior strength or influence to intimidate…to force him or her to do what one wants” that sounds to me like Washington DC! Let’s not get off on a bunny trail though.
I’d just like us to take time today to examine ourselves. Do we try to determine people’s character only by their looks? Are our looks how we find our self worth? Lastly, do we let bullies control our lives or do you use their criticism to grow from and only deepen your stands on things that matter?
Fake faces and big bullies your reaction is up to you, make it one that is constructive.

- Trinity Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment