Thursday, May 30, 2013

Who's gonna take things over?

"Who's gonna take things over when you're ready to retire?"
Asked one neighbor to the other as they started the brandin' fire.
"After all, with all the shelter and improvements, you've got quite a place.
It'd sure be hard to bring someone new in and your to family replace,
but I 'spose that's an option you've considered a time or two."
The older gentleman just waited till' the young buck was through. 
And when he was the old guy said it blatantly and plain,
"My son is busy rodeoin' now but he'll live here again."
"But he's done so good so far and he's even settled at his place in town."
"He likes it and he's good alright, he's just not ready to settle down."
So they called the son on over, he was there to help for the day.
The young buck asked him if he'd come back and here's what he had to say:
"Ya know my dad and I don't get along all the time here on the ranch.
I try do things his way but he corrects me every time he has a chance. 
That has always bothered me when I'm home for too long at all.
But I'll have you know I'm comin' home and stayin' come fall."
Puzzled, the neighbor continued with his inquiries and baffle, 
he mentioned all the money for which the place would sell.
It was then that the son cut in, he talked right over the guy.
"The good really does outweigh the bad" and he looked his neighbor in the eye.
"You know the big barn up by the corrals, a lotta cattle have been through it.
My dad's and his before. It was my great, great grandpa who built it. 
Oh and then the mornings, during haying season are the best,
it's nice and cool, we get a lot done and there's somethin' special about that midday rest. 
Stand here and look out east just as far as you can see.
Then look in each direction, all these fences have been fixed by me. 
With each wire stretched and staple hammered a special pride was built
because I knew I was buildin' a future for my family and someday for myself. 
I love it when the snow falls, each canyon and ravine
are the best cattle shelters around and they're a haven durin' calving. 
And if only you could understand the reason each pasture and dugout is named,
all because of the people who have gone before me, their memory remains. 
Well, you know our brandings have gone the same for over a hundred years.
With pride we put that lazy vp on the left hip, and then turn bulls to steers. 
I guess I could stay on the rodeo road until my body gives out,
but I understand all this ranch life contributes and our deep heritage, that's what it's all about."
The neighbor was left in awe, he kinda shuffled his feet and smiled,
"It's good to have your help today kid. We'll welcome ya home for good in a while."

- Trinity Lewis



No comments:

Post a Comment