Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Legacy we Leave ... Thanks Colten

If you're a regular reader of this blog, you might remember that in October we lost one of our greatest friends and comrades. He was one of Justin's very best friends and I could never decide if he was more like a brother to me or a son... :) . He lives in our memories everyday and I enjoy reminiscing about him with our friends and his family.
Colten was an amazing guy and today I heard a story that should make us all stop for a second to think about our own lives.
My father in law, Bruce, has been in Mississippi for the past week deer hunting. One of the evenings a group of the guys were all sitting around conversing and Bruce overheard the owner of the hunting club talking about an amazing young man. He shared memories about their hunting together, shooting coyotes from helicopters and just the fun that they'd had with this young man. I wasn't there so I'm not sure how it all unfolded but Bruce picked up on the story. The Mississippi man was talking about Colten.
How powerful. If I died today I'm sure a few from my community would notice. The people from my job would have to fill a small void and I'd like to think my family would be impacted. But people all the way across the country?
If only we all lived in a way so that when we pass away, we've impacted enough lives that there is a ripple of remembrance that passes into many peoples lives. Thanks Colten for our lesson of the day. I'm sure blessed to have known him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment