Monday, December 3, 2012

Sunday Ramblings...Yahweh

Yahweh is defined as: A form of the Hebrew name of God used in the Bible. We've heard hymns written about Yahweh, heard pastors or our parents refer to God as Yahweh but here is something about the word Yahweh that I recently learned.
In Hebrew (the original language of the Bible) only consonants were used in Yahweh. Thus it would look like this Yhwh. I love this! We humans are so caught up on communication and, if your like me, new languages are almost frightening simply because we can't fully comprehend them. How would you every pronounce a word spelled Yhwh?
It is simple. Job sums it up in Job 33:4 "The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life." God, the Almighty, Yhwh is the breath of life. Thus to pronounce Yhwh just breathe in (Yh) and then out (wh). Praise God, our breath of life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment