Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sunday Ramblings...what gift can I give?

Christmas is so exciting. I love the lights, snow crunching and family gathering. I also love our tradition of reading the Christmas story after dinner. One thing that was brought to my attention in Church today (thank you Pastor Steve Miller) were the gifts presented to Jesus. The magi came with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.Well, count me out on those! A. if I even owned anything that valuable my husband would think of a shrewd business dealing to pursue with them and B. even if Justin didn't get a hold of them and I could give them to Jesus, I'm not sure how to send physical riches to Him. Okay, that means we should try the other gifts brought to Jesus so long ago. The Shepherds, a group I can relate to exceptionally well, were poor nomads. They had no materialistic items to give to Jesus, but they still were caught up in awe when they saw Him. Thus, they gave the gifts of song and worship. Once again, stop right there! I try my very hardest to sing, at least in Church, but as ALL of my family will tell you, most every attempt I make to be a great singer ends with bleeding ears all over the place. So here I am with seemingly nothing to give God. I'm just a little sinner with a little money and a little bit of stuff. It doesn't end there though. How did Santa know what to give us when we were little kids? That's easy, we TOLD him! Either in letters or while sitting on his lap at the store. Wouldn't it be nice if Jesus told us what He wants from us? Great news! He DID! Romans 12:1-2 is where the answer lies "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." That's it! My Christmas gift and everyday gift to God is to offer my, the life that Trinity Lewis leads, a living sacrifice, laying down my wants and desires to please HIM! Oh, and to be set apart. No we're not perfect creatures but that's why the miracle of sanctification, a constant effort to become more like Him, is so amazing. This wish list isn't easy to fulfill. Every single step to give Him these gifts gets rid of a little bit of us and allows Him to take over a little more of our life. So, only commit to giving Him these gifts if you're fully committed. One last thing you need to know though, is that when you do choose this life of following God, the rewards you will receive are amazing. Eternal life and heavenly peace are just a few of the gifts you'll get in return. This Christmas, reflect on the miracle Christ and know that giving Him a gift is not impossible at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment