Wednesday, December 12, 2012

My Kudos File

We all have those days. You know the type. You're so far down in the dumps that it seems like nothing can snap you out of it. I too have those but while I was in college I learned from a wonderful mentor about one way to deal with being "down and out."

First you should know that this professor seemed to be the type that could never have a bad day. He is the head of the ag department, well respected by his superiors, inferiors and equals alike. He has a wonderful wife and four cute little kids, he serves on national boards and has a deep rooted faith. Yet, over my time getting to know him I realized that even he has bad days.

There is one afternoon in particular that I remember. I sat in his office bawling my eyes out. It was one of those days where I was feeling a lot of pressure from judging, student senate, classes, work and everything else. I told him that sometimes I feel like I just can't win.

He didn't say anything. He just reached down into a drawer on his filing cabinet and pulled out a very full file. He said "This is my kudos file." In it he had collected various letters from students, state and national FFA officers, family members and well, I'm not even sure what all was in it but there was a lot. They were all letters of admiration or otherwise. People who had looked up to him and sent him some encouragement. He told me that some days we just need a little kudos.

That was a while ago and now I'm out of school. The "real world" has brought on a whole new plethora of worries and "bad days." I know I have things much, much better than other people but I love this hint my mentor gave me, thus I thought today would be a good day to pass it on to you. I just checked my e-mail and found a really nice letter from a listener. I'll be putting that right into my kudos files and the next time I'm feeling down, you can bet I'll take another look at it.

Thanks Mr. Hornecker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment