Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Following Tracks

I remember when I was very little and I loved going places with my dad. During the winter he'd wear his buckle over-boots, carhartts and a scotch cap complete with ear flaps. I too had over-boots, a scotch cap with ear flaps and carhartts of my own.  I sure did look up to my dad. I remember walking behind him. Every time he picked his foot up out of the snow, I'd place my foot in the print he'd made. This usually worked well because the snow was pushed down for me. Sometimes I really had to stretch my legs though because his were long and mine...well I'm still waiting for them to grow. Anyway, sometimes I'd get my feet in his tracks, but the snow would sink even further and I'd end up waist deep and stuck in the snow. Thankfully, my dad is very attentive and would help to pull me out. However my snow clothes would be wet from the waist down and cold would set in fast. It's funny now to look back on those memories. Back when parents could do anything, fix anything, be anything and provide everything. 

Now that I'm older I think that we sometimes try too hard to put our feet right in the tracks of someone else. For some of us it is a politician, a musician or a physician we'd like to be like. For others it might still be a parent, sibling, or maybe even our own child. We start to hold someone in extremely high regards. We might buy clothes that look like theirs, talk like them, or try to accomplish things that they have. We defend the things they do and the positions they take because we look up to them. We begin thinking that they can do anything, fix anything, be anything and provide everything. This might work for a while but eventually we'll have the shocking realization that these people are human too. They're tracks might even be deep enough that we get stuck in them. The only problem with being infatuated with human accomplishment, is that that human eventually will let you down. It inevitably will happen because they are just human. Even after we get over the initial shock of being let down, just like getting stuck in the snow, our "clothes are wet and the cold sinks in." Or, we may be confused as to who to look up to from there or shocked with disbelief that they carried out whichever deed they did.

I think that putting humans on pedestals is something growing more and more common in our culture because we quit putting the right person on  a pedestal, God. Actually He doesn't even need to be put on a pedestal, he needs to be put on the throne in our hearts. You see, we can either rely on ourselves to guide our lives, to make the right decisions, to find achievement, to make ourselves successful. But if we don't have God as our first priority, what kind of success to we even have to live for? Earthly treasures. Or we have the option of letting God lead our life. He is the only one who can do anything, fix anything, is everything and provides the things we need. The best part is that if we idolize God instead of other humans, we'll never be let down. Have a seemingly impossible feat ahead? Give it to God. A broken heart, hurting family, disastrous marriage? God knows our struggles and longs to be given the chance to care for His children.

When we give our lives to Him, he'll guide us. Cast your cares upon Him for He cares for you. Our treasures in heaven will be far greater than they could ever be here on earth. The next time you find someone to admire, go ahead but remember that God is the being we need to admire the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment