Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What is Love?




As I anxiously await my wedding (just 10 short days from now!!!) I ponder…what is love? Society says love is a deep feeling of appreciation. Some think it is state of your heart where it feels a certain way that it has never felt before. In numerous songs you hear about making love, the act of sexual intercourse. But next Saturday when I pledge my love to Justin, what am I actually pledging? 1 John 4:8 gives us the answer: God is love. Thus, to know how to love, we must first know God. If we know God, we know that he loves us even when we aren’t loveable. He loves us even when we sin against Him and hurt Him. We all have had times when we’ve turned our backs on Him and yet, he still loves us. God loves us so much that he sent the only child he has to die on the cross for us. Now that I know what love is, I can better understand the ways to love my husband and others around me. Even when they hurt me, knowingly or otherwise, I still need to be there by their side, ready to help and encourage. When they think of themselves and not me, accidentally offend me, tell me that I’m not as important to them as I once was, I still must love them. Agape is unconditional love. That is an easy concept! No matter the conditions, I must still show the action of love. 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8 says it best: “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” I am so excited to pledge my love to Justin and by these parameters I will strive to keep my love. To be patient and not jealous, to admit that I’m wrong (although that rarely ever happens :P ) I need to always have confidence in him and his decisions, always keep my hope in him and continue to work for the enhancement of our love and lives together.


No comments:

Post a Comment